Combo EAD and AP Card is Coming

After a few years of working, USCIS is ready to issue combined EAD/AP cards to adjustment of status (AOS) applicants.

The new card is essentially an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with added text that reads, “Serves as I-512 Advance Parole.” And just like current EAD, the new card will be issued with one or two-year validity.

From the released Q&A, it doesn’t appear that applying for the combo EAD/AP card would save money, or the hassle of applying for such documents. Rather, it would offer convenience since an applicant no longer has to maintain two separate documents, especially paper-based Advance Parole.

If you already have EAD and/or AP, you may renew them and get the new card instead if you meet certain requirements listed below:

Q7. What if I already have an EAD or an Advance Parole document?
A7. If your Advance Parole document and EAD card have different expiration dates, you may only receive this card if both documents have less than 120 days of validity left, or if the EAD has less than 120 days of validity left and the Advance Parole document is for a single entry only. If you decide to file for this card by filing Forms I-765 and I-131 simultaneously, do not apply more than 120 days before your current EAD expires. The validity period for the EAD and Advance Parole card will begin on the date of the adjudication of the Forms I-765 and I-131.

You may still apply for separate documents if you wish to do so. Some people choose to renew only EAD, but not AP, for example.

The combo EAD/AP card is still new – USCIS just made the announcement today – so there is still unanswered questions with regard to the issuance of this document. We’ll post more details later on.

4 thoughts on “Combo EAD and AP Card is Coming

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.