Immigration Road Logo
Check USCIS Case Status in Person (Infopass)

In 2019, USCIS started to phase out the online appointment scheduling system via Infopass. As of September 2019, you can no longer make an appointment online to visit a USCIS office.

Instead, you must call USCIS Customer Service first. If USCIS cannot answer your question or resolve your issue over the phone, they may, under their discretion, schedule an appointment for you.

Immigration applicants can also submit online requests for in-person meetings. USCIS will review your request and decide whether to arrange an appointment.

No More Infopass Appointment

So in short, you can no longer schedule an appointment by yourself, and talk to a USCIS official face-to-face. This used to be very efficient and helpful, when people simply got stuck in the process, or had an emergency that can really benefit from visiting a USCIS office in person.

From USCIS' standpoint, they probably believe that most of the issues can be taken care of over the phone, and people don't need to visit an office, which occupies more resources than necessary.

If you feel like you must visit a USCIS office, you may still be able to do it. It's just a lot more complicated:

  • First call USCIS;
  • You can bypass the automated voice system by using our USCIS phone menu;
  • Once you reach a live person at USCIS, you can ask your question and the USCIS Tier 1 operator will try to address it over the phone;
  • If your issue cannot be resolved, you can request to be transferred to a Tier 2 or Level 2 operator;
  • The Level 2 operator is often a USCIS agent and has access to more information than Level 1 can provide, which is basically your online case status anyway;
  • The Level 2 operator may not be available right away, but can call you back. Make sure you leave the right phone number;
  • If at this point they still cannot resolve the issue over the phone, USCIS will schedule an appointment for you to visit a local office. For example, if you need an I-551 stamp to prove your permanent resident status (temporary proof for green card), you'll most likely receive an appointment because only a field office can stamp it on your passport.
  • If you truly have an emergency, you can still walk in and request to meet a USCIS officer. They may just let you in, at their discretion.

If you are outside the United States, you can actually schedule an appointment with an USCIS international office. Please go to this page and make an appointment. Keep in mind that USCIS is planning to close most overseas offices and will keep open only seven: Beijing and Guangzhou, China; San Salvador, El Salvador; Guatemala City, Guatemala; New Delhi, India; Nairobi, Kenya; and Mexico City, Mexico.

See also:

Easy Tools