Immigration Road Logo
Immigrant Visa (Consular Processing) Inventory at NVC

For employment-based immigration, there are two ways to obtain a green card: File I-485 to adjust status in the United States, or go through consular processing to obtain an immigrant visa. The majority of EB immigrants (roughly 90%) take the I-485 route, while the rest (10%) receive their green card through consular processing.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) processes Adjustment of Status applications. USCIS publishes a quarterly pending I-485 inventory which can show your place in line for a green card. An easier way to access the pending I-485 data is to use our green card tracker, which does the calculation automatically based on your country, EB preference and priority date.

The Department of State (DOS) handles immigrant visa applications at its overseas posts. DOS' National Visa Center (NVC) publishes an annual inventory of applicants awaiting consular processing. The employment portion of the inventory is summarized below, but keep in the mind that it is just the consular waiting list which does not count any green card applications pending at USCIS. In addition, the consular inventory does include spouses and children who are entitled for derivative status.

As you can see the consular processing (CP) inventory does not include priority date information. So you can only estimate how many of those applicants on the waiting list are actually ahead of you. Add this number to the green card tracker (I-485) result, and you now have a more complete picture of your place in line for a green card. This is how we calculate the ratio of CP to I-485, and apply to the green card tracker.

It is worth mentioning that all applicants subject to numerical limits, whether through adjustment of status or consular processing, must secure a visa number before their application can be approved. The allocation of visa numbers is regulated via the visa bulletin, published monthly by the Department of State. DOS' Visa Office tallies requests for visa numbers from both USCIS and overseas posts to determine cut-off dates, if any, for all preferences and subcategories.

Immigrant Visa Applications Inventory at DOS National Visa Center (NVC), as of 11/1/2015
Employment-Based ROW China India Mexico Philippines Sub-Total
EB1 2,112 902 333 98 29 3,474
EB2 2,160 893 7,646 362 379 11,440
EB3 9,607 1,681 21,590 604 28,102 61,584
EB3-Other 1,621 2,796 518 503 770 6,208
EB4 214 12 121 16 16 379
EB5 1,754 15,830 73 5 0 17,662
Total-EB 17,466 22,114 30,281 1,589 29,297 100,747

Immigrant Visa Applications Inventory at DOS National Visa Center (NVC), as of 11/1/2014
Employment-Based ROW China India Mexico Philippines Sub-Total
EB1 1,772 602 264 60 34 2733
EB2 1,393 796 5,499 425 267 8380
EB3 12,537 2,305 21,351 809 28,578 65580
EB3-Other 2,033 2,798 547 1,296 810 7484
EB4 209 2 76 13 15 315
EB5 1,149 5,169 95 5 0 6,418
Total-EB 19,093 11,672 27,832 2,609 29,704 90,910

Immigrant Visa Applications Inventory at DOS National Visa Center (NVC), as of 11/1/2013
Country EB1 EB2 EB3 EB3 Other EB4 EB5
China - Mainland 473 2,002 3,670 4,571 -- 3,863
India 242 9,086 21,720 572 93 --
Mexico 68 -- 1,521 1,690 14 --
Philippines -- 704 32,965 1,043 24 --
Canada 216 332 -- -- 16 --
South Korea 178 1,100 2,067 1,606 18 126
Worldwide Total 2,691 15,866 76,742 11,195 362 4,748

Immigrant Visa Applications Inventory at DOS National Visa Center (NVC), as of 11/1/2012
Country EB1 EB2 EB3 EB3 Other EB4 EB5
China - Mainland 379 916 5,440 4,700 4 2,277
India 190 3,742 21,380 590 120 35
Mexico 83 -- 1,938 2,002 -- 76
Philippines -- 377 36,978 1,278 27 --
Canada 238 157 -- -- 25 --
South Korea 137 486 2,575 2,279 38 150
Worldwide Total 2,547 6,892 86,862 13,116 479 3,162

Immigrant Visa Applications Inventory at DOS National Visa Center (NVC), as of 11/1/2011
Country EB1 EB2 EB3 EB3 Other EB4 EB5
China - Mainland 268 1,053 6,191 4,718 -- 1,157
India 164 3,705 21,119 605 107 31
Mexico 57 -- 2,271 2,277 -- --
Philippines 57 292 42,872 1,615 27 --
Canada 232 161 -- -- -- --
South Korea 106 379 2,955 3,051 32 182
Worldwide Total 2,118 6,888 97,060 14,963 498 1,806

Immigrant Visa Applications Inventory at DOS National Visa Center (NVC), as of 11/1/2010
Country EB1 EB2 EB3 EB3 Other EB4 EB5
China - Mainland 355 1,022 6,724 5,142 -- 766
India 209 3,350 20,873 602 120 18
Mexico 91 -- 2,434 2,261 28 --
Philippines -- 294 44,903 -- 30 --
Canada 370 194 -- --   --
South Korea 149 425 3,461 4,005 42 96
All Others 1,787 1,453 24,000 4,778 334 303
Worldwide Total 2,961 6,738 102,395 16,788 554 1,183