Does visa number retrogression ever bring out good news? I guess the answer is yes, as USCIS apparently has freed up enough resources to resume premium processing of Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker.
Ok, we are just being too harsh on USCIS. And frankly, there is not much they can do when immigrant visa numbers run out.
So let’s focus on the good news, as plenty of people can certainly use an approved I-140.
Who is eligible to shell out 1000 bucks and get their I-140 approved (hopefully) within 15 calendar days:
- EB-1 Aliens with Extraordinary Ability
- EB-1 Outstanding Professors and Researchers
- EB-2 Members of Professions with Advanced Degrees or Exceptional Ability not seeking a National Interest Waiver
- EB-3 Professionals
- EB-3 Skilled Workers
- EB-3 Other Workers
Who is not eligible even if they are rich:
- EB-1 Multinational Executives and Managers
- EB-2 Members of Professions with Advanced Degrees or Exceptional Ability seeking a National Interest Waiver
What can you do with an approved I-140 when there is no visa number for green card:
- Change jobs using AC21
- 3-year H-1B extension beyond the six year limitation
- 2-year EAD
- Bragging rights among your poor friends